Mayor Hart and Waterloo Main Street Working To Minimize Impact of 4th St. Bridge Closures
posted on Thursday, June 1, 2017 in Blog
Improvements are underway to the 4th Street pedestrian walkway. The City of Waterloo is working to minimize the impact of construction on businesses and those driving through downtown.
Beginning this Friday, the 4th Street bridge will be closed to all traffic. Closures will occur throughout the project to accommodate necessary construction equipment and workers. The bridge will be open to traffic during My Waterloo Days and Iowa Irish Fest.
Mayor Hart is working with City staff, Main Street Waterloo, engineers and contractors to accommodate as much vehicular traffic as possible while keeping the project on pace for completion. Hart asks drivers and businesses to be patient during the process and reminds us that every day without a closure is a day without progress on the much needed project.
“Thanks to Mayor's leadership, accommodations were made to lessen the impact on business as much as possible,” says Tavis Hall, Executive Director, Main Street Waterloo. “We want to make sure those impacted the most have as much notice as possible and keep the bridge open whenever possible.”
ACCOMMODATIONS MADE FOR DOWNTOWN TRAFFIC
• Reopened nightly after 7 pm until June 18th (to accommodate painting subcontractor – Thomas Industrial Coatings (TIC). TIC may be able to open the northeast bound lane of traffic, when possible.
• Open on some weekends. The contractor, Minturn, may want to work weekends to stay ahead of TIC. Minturn is planning to work this Saturday, June 3rd.
• TIC plans to work six days a week starting around June 19th.
WORK WILL INCLUDE
• Painting the metal structure.
• Replacement of canopy windows.
• Closed during the day starting Friday, June 2nd.
• Estimated reopen date is end of September for vehicular traffic on 4th Street bridge.
• Estimated reopen date is end of October for pedestrian usage of 4th Street pedestrian walkway.
• 4th Street vehicular traffic bridge will also be open for My Waterloo Days weekend, June 9-11 and the Iowa Irish Fest, August 4-6.
A weekly project update will be distributed by e-mail to businesses and organizations impacted in the downtown area to inform about contractor's progress and weekend closures when necessary. Those wishing to be added to the distribution list should contact Main Street Waterloo by calling (319) 291-2038.
Questions regarding 4th Street bridge closures may be directed to the City of Waterloo Engineering Department (319)291-4312, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Updates will be posted on the City's website www.cityofwaterlooiowa.com, and through social media.